Sunday, January 31, 2016

Lesson #15: Making a Mini Documentary

Today is our last film class before we return from Chinese New Year and Beyond. Zhu Laoshi assigned the class with the task of creating a 1-minute documentary that consists of three interviews in our small groups. Josephine, Michelle, and I went around campus and interviewed Mrs. Grace, Edwin, and a CIS Student (Tina) on their impressions of life in Hangzhou. 

One interesting thing that I learnt today was that if your interviewee (for example, Mrs. Grace) blinks a lot on camera, you should zoom out of the frame, so that the shot includes more of the interviewee's body and would not be so focused on his / her face, as the audience may find frequent blinking to be uncomfortable.

It is also important to film relevant cutaway shots and include jump cuts so the film would be less mundane. eg. When Mrs Grace was talking about how in Hangzhou, "the community sleeps, eats, and works together", we included a shot of our film class editing their mini documentaries.

Final Cut Pro Keys: I for In, O for Out, B for Blade


No comments:

Post a Comment